Saturday, November 26, 2005



Sayanara, Mr. Miyagi



Actor Pat Morita, that's "Karate Kid"'s Mr. Miyagi to you and me, died over the Thanksgiving holiday, leaving a pop culture vortex not felt since that little blond girl from the "Poltergeist" movies expired from drinking pop rocks and soda. (It's true, I swear!) Believe it or not, Morita (seen here in a strangely homo-erotic pose with Ralph Macchio) was nominated for an Oscar for his turn as the impossibly wise and good-hearted dojo master. (He lost, unfortunately).

He passed away from "natural causes" in Las Vegas, his wife said, which I presume means "strippers and all-you-can-eat buffets." Wax on, wax off, indeed. Seriously, I'll miss Morita, but take comfort in knowing that I can watch my dogeared copy of "The Karate Dog," starring him, Chevy Chase and that fine actress Jaime Pressly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home